Research has proven that 93% of communication is non-verbal: only 7% of any message is conveyed through words, while the remaining 93% non-verbal component is composed of the following: 38% communicated through certain vocal elements, and 55% communicated through eye contact, facial expressions, gestures, posture, etc. But without question, nothing on the non-verbal spectrum is more powerful than eye contact. Psychology Today recently put together a fascinating guide to understanding the unconscious (and sometimes conscious) mechanics of eye contact, and of the 14 bullet points/paragraphs listed, one of the most intriguing reads: “If the usual short, intermittent gazes of a conversation are replaced by gazes of longer duration, the target interprets this as meaning that the communication is less important than the personal relationship between two people.” You can read the feature in full by visiting And to learn more about body language you absolutely must watch Amy Cuddy’s brilliant TED Talk below.

SEE ALSO: Wall Street Journal Explains The Fascinating Ways How Eye Contact Is Boosting Or Killing Your Career
SEE ALSO: Buddha, Joan Of Arc & Even Luke Skywalker Shared This #1 Trait That Best Predicts Elite Performance

Photo courtesy of The Art Of Manliness

Writer, editor, and founder of FEELguide. I have written over 5,000 articles covering many topics including: travel, design, movies, music, politics, psychology, neuroscience, business, religion and spirituality, philosophy, pop culture, the universe, and so much more. I also work as an illustrator and set designer in the movie industry, and you can see all of my drawings at

Comments are closed.

Exit mobile version