There are different types of lighting and many applications in which it is used. Whether you’re looking to brighten up a dark hall, use accent lighting to highlight an architectural feature, or create mood lighting for a party, it’s essential that your indoor lights provide the right level of light for each situation. Here are the reasons why it’s important that your home has good lighting.
Lighting is Important For Safety
Safety is the main reason that you’ll want good lighting. During the day, natural light can be supplemented with artificial lighting to ensure that you never hit a dark patch in your home. At night, it’s important to make sure there are no dark corners or recesses where an intruder could hide. Good lighting enhances this safety factor because it enables you to identify potential dangers at a glance, reducing any chance of someone causing harm. The best lights for this purpose are security lights, which come equipped with motion sensors and infra-red detectors.
Lighting Gives Atmosphere
Having good indoor lighting gives your room an atmosphere. The type of lighting you choose will depend on the mood that you’re trying to create.
- Create a cozy atmosphere for conversation or relaxation with warm lighting from table lamps or under-shelf lights.
- Accentuate an architectural feature such as a fireplace or ornate mirror by highlighting it with low-energy spotlights that illuminate the room and its features without increasing ambient light levels.
- Use up-lighters to enhance the ceiling and create vibrant decorative effects on any flat surface including cornices, skirting boards, picture rails, and door frames.
- Create mood lighting for parties using fiber optic lights to project stars onto walls and ceilings, candles to set up atmospheric lighting within lanterns, and tea lights to convert candle holders into small ornamental candles.
Lighting is Important For Productivity
Having good lighting in the working environment enables people to get more done. In general, people are more productive when they have an adequate level of light from which to work. This is because it allows them to read text accurately and comfortably without straining their eyes, which reduces tiredness and makes concentration easier. It also minimizes glare that can cause a loss of sharpness, a headache, or even a migraine.
Lighting Can Be Environmentally Friendly
If you’re conscious about the environment, investing in good lights can make a difference. Energy-saving light bulbs are more cost-effective than traditional models and use less electricity to produce brighter light, which means you’ll be able to save money on your energy bills while doing your bit for the planet.
Lighting is Important For Well Being
Good indoor lighting promotes good health by keeping your property free from drafts and cold spots. It encourages you to keep all windows and doors closed during poor weather, reducing the amount of cold air coming into your home.
Lighting Can Save You Money
Good indoor light saves money because it minimizes the need for artificial heating or cooling as well as any other devices that rely on lighting as part of their function, such as TVs and computers. This keeps utility bills down and ensures that all of your appliances are running efficiently at all times. All lighting specialists will tell you that lights come with different energy ratings so it’s essential to look at these before making a purchase; efficient bulbs use less electricity than standard bulbs, which is always a good thing when you’re living on a budget.
Lighting Can Boost Curb Appeal
The exterior of your property can have a big influence on just how attractive it looks to potential buyers when you’re in the market for a new home. Good lighting improves this appearance by enhancing the natural features in your landscape and highlighting any architectural features that might be present on or around your house. The outdoor lights you use should be strategically placed to make the most of each feature; for instance, uplights are ideal for spotlighting trees and down-lights can emphasize climbing plants against dark stone walls. Your lights will also make your home more visible at night which is important if you live in an area that experiences frequent power cuts or has poor street lighting.
Lighting Can Boost Your Home’s Value
Improving your home with good lighting is one of the most cost-effective ways you can increase its value, whether you’re planning on selling it or adding to its appeal when you next move.
Exterior lights will make your home more visible at night and give it a warm welcome during the day, which are both attractive features to potential buyers.
Upgrades to rooms such as kitchens and bathrooms always boost a property’s value because they improve how functional they are, whereas renovations to living areas such as installing central heating systems will influence its saleability by presenting itself as a superior place for people to live in.
The Types of Lights and Their Purpose
There are three main types of light that you can use to enhance your home’s features, including ambient lighting, task lighting, and accent lighting.
- Ambient Lighting – this is the overall or general lighting that brightens up a room and serves as its primary illumination. It allows you to see every part of the room clearly and comfortably; it might include ceiling lights, wall lights, and table lamps for example.
- Task Lighting – this type of light illuminates only the area in front of where people are working such as reading or sewing, using items such as bedside lamps, desk lamps, and living room floor lamps. This type of lighting ensures that all objects within their range appear sharp and clear so they don’t need to strain their eyes.
- Accent Lighting – this highlights specific objects such as paintings and other pieces of furniture, using small lamps or spotlights that can be mounted on walls or ceilings for maximum impact. You might even use a dimmer switch with these lights because the low-level lighting helps to create a comfortable mood within the room; it can also make your home appear more attractive to visitors and potential buyers.
There’s no doubt that good lighting is beneficial at all times, whether you’re using it during the day or night, inside your property, or outside in its landscape features. If you want your home to feel warm and inviting when you come back after work every day then good lighting is essential for preventing eye strain and fatigue; likewise, if you’re selling your home then effective lighting can make it more attractive to potential buyers.
Photo by Rylan Hill on Unsplash
6 Good Ways To Prevent Back Pain Next Post:
Ease Your Search for the Attorney With These 7 Simple Tips