Today, many people are focused on getting healthy, but some don’t even know where to start. With so many health supplements available out there, it can be hard to know which one to try. However, exercise supplements can be a wise investment, and the market is filled with many different kinds. There are many products to choose from, ranging from fat burners to protein powders. This article will help you understand the supplement industry better by summarizing six things you didn’t know about fitness supplements.
What Are Supplements
The importance of supplements in a healthy diet cannot be overstated. They are necessary for a variety of reasons: from building muscle to preventing disease and illness. As a result, supplements are a hot topic in the fitness and health world. In the past decade, the supplement industry has grown to $36.6 billion in 2021. This growth has been fueled by the growing popularity of fitness pills and the rise of the “clean eating” movement. As a result, supplements are used by thousands of Americans each year. In addition, the use of supplements to treat chronic diseases and the promotion of particular health disorders is a rapidly growing trend. Each day, the supplement industry is investing in research and development and creating new products that continue to satisfy the needs of consumers.
Advantages of Taking Supplements
In this day and age, where it can be challenging to get all the nutrients the body needs from food alone, supplementation has several proven benefits for maintaining a healthy body. Some of the advantages include:
- Making Up for Nutritional Gaps: As many as 90% of people fail to get the correct nutrition they need from food alone. Regardless of the reason for the imbalance, supplements are an excellent way to correct it.
- Age decreases nutrient absorption: When you grow older, you tend to produce fewer digestive enzymes. These enzymes break down food and allow the body to absorb nutrients. Therefore a high-quality supplement is often advised to enable the elderly to retain as many minerals as possible.
- Exercise increases nutritional requirements: The more you exercise, the faster your body will deplete its stores of essential minerals and vitamins. Supplements are a fantastic method to replenish your stocks without needing to eat more food.
- Healthy eating is not always possible: Not everyone can eat healthy foods all the time. A good supplement can boost the body’s levels and maintain its health.
- Avoid Expensive Health Problems: Prevention is always the best cure. Therefore, supplementation can be used as a simple method of preempting diseases that can be costly in the future.
Supplements: Facts You May Not Know
Although many people believe they know everything about fitness nutrition, there are some surprising facts about this industry.
1. A Natural Vitamin Is Equal To A Synthetic Vitamin
If you ask most people, they will state that vitamins consumed from natural foods are superior to those created in a laboratory. However, this is not true because the chemical makeup of these vitamins is the same wherever they come from. Nevertheless, it is still important to eat whole foods as they provide other things not available in supplement form.
2. Glucosamine Might Help Arthritis
Glucosamine is a naturally occurring substance in the human body, and it has been used for many years to help maintain healthy cartilage. However, low levels of glucosamine have been linked to joint pain, while high levels have been linked to arthritis. Research has shown that glucosamine supplements may benefit both conditions; however, the mechanism of action is still unclear.
3. The Government Regulates Supplements
This is good news for anyone who is still on the fence about the safety of these pills. It is a common misconception that this industry is unregulated and therefore filled with products that have the potential to cause harm. However, this is not entirely true. Supplements in this supplement store, for instance, do not make unsupported claims but rather let you select the items you might need for a particular reason. How they are regulated differs from medical products and drugs. Still, the key takeaway is that supplement companies are not allowed to claim that the supplements will treat certain conditions. Instead, they are allowed to reference on the label how the minerals and vitamins contained in a specific supplement might help the body.
4. Taking More Vitamins Won’t Increase Your Performance (In The Manner That You Perceive)
Many people will take fitness supplements thinking that they are a miracle medicine that will transform athletic performance. However, this is not entirely the case. While athletes often take various supplements, they replenish what they have lost during their training exercises. Furthermore, some activities may require that you supplement your diet. Strength training and weight lifting are apparent candidates because they break down the tissues and contain chemicals not found in food.
5. Supplements Can Compensate Poor Soil
This one needs a little explaining. Fertilizers are typically used in modern intensive agriculture methods so that crops receive just the amount of nutrition they need to flourish. This does not always equate to high nutritional value, however. In this case, a supplement can help offset the impact of the lower nutritional value. Moreover, processing methods in the food industry further reduce the nutritional value of the products, potentially necessitating supplementation.
6. They Replenish Water Soluble Vitamins
There is a difference between fat-soluble vitamins like vitamins A, D, E and K, and the water-soluble variety. Fat-soluble vitamins will stay in your body for longer and do not dissolve in water. A large number of water-soluble vitamins will simply drain from the body. This means that these vitamins need to be taken daily. As it pertains to exercise, the higher the sweat levels caused by exertion, the greater the loss of these vitamins. People deficient in various B vitamins and vitamin C, which are water-soluble, are advised to take supplements.
The supplement market has grown tremendously in the past decade and is now so popular that many people take supplements without thinking about it. From replacing vitamins lost during exercise to simply having a poor diet, supplements play a crucial role in enhancing various aspects of life.
Photo by Adam Nieścioruk on Unsplash